Full TimeBusiness Lead, Office Of The Chief Marketing Officer
Activision Blizzard | Santa Monica, CA, USA
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI) is one the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and sits at the intersection of media, technology, and entertainment. Activision Blizzard is a member of the S&P 500 and has been recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” for four years in a row. Activision Blizzard (the Company) has operations throughout the world, has approximately 10,000 employees, and its games are played in 196 countries.
Activision Blizzard develops and publishes games based on some of the most beloved entertainment franchises, including Call of Duty®, Skylanders®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Hearthstone®, Diablo®, StarCraft®, Heroes of the Storm®, Candy Crush™, Bubble Witch™, and Farm Heroes™. What makes Activision Blizzard unique is our highly focused approach and concentration on opportunities to create breakthrough entertainment experiences. In 2018, we achieved record revenues of $7.5B. We're composed of three operating segments: Activision Publishing, Blizzard Entertainment, and King Digital Entertainment and some of the most talented development studios on the planet, including Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games, and Toys for Bob. We are well-positioned for growth across all gaming platforms, audiences, genres, and business models.
The Business Lead is tasked with optimizing the Chief Marketing Officer’s vision for Activision Blizzard’s global marketing organization. In this capacity, the Business Lead will help streamline key activities, provide a range of tactical and strategic support, and carryout the CMO’s agenda throughout the company. This role will work closely with the Chief Marketing Officer’s direct and indirect reports as well as colleagues across various Business Units and key franchises to ensure effective communication and organization. This role is meant for someone looking to take on big challenges to help partner with leadership to develop the future Global Marketing organization across Activision, Blizzard and King and is intended to be a development role for future marketing and/or business leadership opportunities in the company.
- Ensure the CMO’s leadership team and their staffs correctly interpret, understand, and carry out the CMO’s direction and strategic vision
- Assist the CMO in managing a strong and effective leadership team to enable the successful implementation of the CMO’s vision and strategy
- Ensure alignment among often disparate internal and external stakeholders; and when such alignment is absent, recommend mitigating approaches to the CMO
- Conduct capability assessment and support recruiting of key marketing roles
- Work closely with senior executives throughout the marketing teams and Business Units to identify and mobilize resources to support strategic objectives
- Create briefing materials, in collaboration with marketing leaders, to ensure the CMO is prepped for meetings and ensure timely follow-up on meeting actions
- Manage and drive special projects initiated by the CMO
- Act as a proxy and information funnel, filter and facilitator for the CMO
- Share observations and insights regarding how the ongoing marketing operation is delivering on the CMO’s vision
- Draft impactful and professional communications on behalf of the CMO on tight timelines
- Analyze business data to determine the feasibility and impact of various business plans.
- Proactively identify and raise issues that could impact the CMO’s agenda
- Oversee large, often cross-business unit-wide initiatives assigned by the CMO or his delegates
- Work with external agencies and partners, as needed, as a proxy for the CMO
- Deliver on ad hoc duties, as assigned
The ideal candidate has working experience in marketing and/or consulting in the media/technology industries with an established track record of success at managing complex relationships throughout a global organization and having real operational impact. S/he demonstrates a combination of tenacity and flexibility, as well as a willingness to work behind-the-scenes to get things done. As the CMO’s "trusted advisor," excellent judgement, strategic acumen, strong relationship and emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and superior analytical skills are a must. Since Activision Blizzard’s marketing organization is embarking on a transitional phase, the Business Lead must have a high capacity for ambiguity and managing through change.
Specific Requirements Include
The successful candidate will have a minimum of three years of professional experience in operational and support roles for senior executives, including the proven ability to interact with and influence senior leaders in an organization. This position requires high energy, a strong work ethic, outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, and an ability to rapidly learn, understand and implement new business concepts.
- Excellent judgement, obsessive attention to detail, great multitasking, and high motivation to get things done
- Experience translating strategy into tactical execution
- Strong time management skills with the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently
- Highly collaborative working style that relies on great listening and interpersonal skills
- Professional working experience in marketing and/or consulting in the media or technology industries
- Knowledgeable about marketing capabilities and global marketing team structures
- Established reputation as a business partner and advisor
- Ability to adapt quickly, build relationships, engage and motivate people
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven presentation skills, with the ability to generate high-impact presentations, appropriate for the Board of Directors and other Senior Executives
- Customer-oriented and highly responsive
- Excel and PowerPoint power user with strong critical thinking, analytical and storytelling skills
Undergraduate degree required. MBA of interest but not required.