Jennifer Davis is the chief marketing and communications officer at Learfield, which has been around for over 50 years. Learfield works with intercollegiate athletics of the U.S. They offer licensing, multimedia sponsorship management, publishing, audio digital, and social media, data analytics, ticketing, tickets, sales, professional concessions, expertise, branding, and campus-wide business and sponsorship development, as well as venue technology systems for many of the college athletic programs in the United States and the greater ecosystem.
In this episode, Jennifer and I discuss college sports and the big business behind them. We also talk about Jennifer’s role transition through the pandemic and how she wrote a book called Well-Made Decisions during that transition.
Listen to find out more about why marketers should spend more energy on the decisions they make and how sports marketing plays into the future.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Spend more energy on making decisions
- How marketers can partner with sports organizations
- The opportunity for growth within sports marketing
- [02:20] About Jennifer’s book
- [04:04] Where Jennifer got her start
- [05:45] What is Learfield?
- [08:33] The first 100 days of onboarding
- [11:44] Current trends in college sports
- [18:51] What are collegiate e-sports?
- [23:54] The growth of B2B brands in sports marketing
- [28:44] How athletes are able to market themselves
- [34:54] An experience that defines Jennifer, makes her who she is
- [39:14] Jennifer’s advice to her younger self
- [41:43] What marketers should be learning more about
- [44:12] The brands and organizations Jennifer follows
- [45:48] The biggest threat and opportunity for marketers
- Jennifer Davis
- Well Made Decisions: Pro Tips for Finishing the Decisions You Start, by Jennifer Davis
- Intercollegiate Fan Report (press release)
- Intercollegiate Fan Report (report)
- LevelNext – The College Esports League
- Allstate’s Sponsorship Program
- NCAA adopts iterim name, image and likeness policy
- CLC, a division of Learfield, and OneTeam partner to offer student athletes an opt-in program to participate in licensing programs
Connect with the guest:
Follow the podcast:
- Listen in iTunes (link: http://apple.co/2dbdAhV)
- Listen in Google Podcasts (link: http://bit.ly/2Rc2kVa)
- Listen in Spotify (link: http://spoti.fi/2mCUGnC)
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
Alan B. Hart is the creator and host of “Marketing Today with Alan Hart,” a weekly podcast where he interviews leading global marketing professionals and business leaders. Alan advises leading executives and marketing teams on brand, customer experience, innovation, and growth opportunities. He has consulted with Fortune 100 companies, but he is an entrepreneur at his core, having founded or served as an executive for nine companies.