In this episode, Meagen and I dive into her passion for marketing beginning in high school, how she ended up at Jane.com, and the trends she sees in the clothing and fashion industry and social media.
Meagen believes the biggest opportunity for today’s marketers is to leverage social commerce not just for sales but also for brand awareness. She says marketers need to push to be different and that “what got you here today is definitely not going to get you where you need to go.” What should you be doing to not fall behind? Test, experiment, try different things to see if they work and align with your brand. How does the concept of “shopetainment” and influencers fit into this? Listen to their conversation to find out.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How to stand out and drive growth in a competitive marketplace
- The evolution of social commerce
- How being different can feel more personal
- [01:20] Why Meagen doesn’t eat fruits and vegetables
- [02:55] Falling in love with marketing in high school
- [07:45] What is Jane.com?
- [10:01] The competition of marketing to women
- [11:20] Shopetainment: what works and what doesn’t work?
- [16:00] Breaking down influencers, creators, and affiliates
- [20:39] Meagen’s advice for marketers
- [22:35] An experience that defines Meagen, makes her who she is today
- [25:25] Meagen’s advice for her younger self
- [26:18] What marketers should be learning more about
- [28:32] The brands and organizations Meagen follows
- [30:11] What Meagen thinks is the biggest threat and best opportunity for marketers
Subscribe to the podcast:
- Listen in iTunes (link: http://apple.co/2dbdAhV)
- Listen in Google Podcasts (link: http://bit.ly/2Rc2kVa)
- Listen in Spotify (link: http://spoti.fi/2mCUGnC)
Connect with the Guest:
- Meagen’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/meagenjohnson/
- Meagen’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/meagen_johnson_
- Jane.com’s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/veryjane
- Jane.com’s Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/veryjane/
- Jane.com’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/janedeals
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
Alan B. Hart is the creator and host of “Marketing Today with Alan Hart,” a weekly podcast where he interviews leading global marketing professionals and business leaders. Alan advises leading executives and marketing teams on opportunities around brand, customer experience, innovation, and growth. He has consulted with Fortune 100 companies, but he is an entrepreneur at his core, having founded or served as an executive for nine startups.