Some people see golf as a sport for the elite, but the truth is 75% of golf courses in the U.S. are open to the public. Golf players are more diverse than ever, and brands like PGA TOUR Superstore are committed to continuing to make the sport inclusive to all.
Jill Thomas is PGA TOUR Superstore’s CMO and leads her team in modernizing their marketing strategy as their audience grows. Jill has more than 25 years of senior leadership with a consistent record of growth at some of the world’s most admired companies, including The Walt Disney Company, Cinnabon, Yum! Brands, Edible Arrangements, and PepsiCo.
In this episode, Jill and I talk about the strategies that enable brand growth, Jill’s formula for marketing nirvana, and how to reach new audiences. Later, they discuss what endears brands to us and why you need to lean into evolving technology in your marketing strategy.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Empathy enables brand growth
- How to achieve personalization at scale
- Right person + right message + right moment
- [01:00] Two pivotal moments in Jill’s career
- [03:30] The importance of a good mentor
- [08:00] Reaching new audiences with golf
- [15:30] Marketing strategies Jill’s team used to fuel growth
- [20:00] Connecting with audiences through storytelling and humor
- [23:00] How motherhood has contributed to Jill’s success
- [25:00] Jill’s advice for her younger self
- [26:30] Achieving personalization at scale
- [29:30] Brands worth admiring
- [32:30] The biggest threat facing marketers
- Jill Thomas
- PGA TOUR Superstore
- Mark Irby, former VP Marketing at Publix
- Women’s Golf Day
- Father’s Day Ad
- Quiet Sign Guy Spoof
Follow the podcast:
- Listen in iTunes (link: http://apple.co/2dbdAhV)
- Listen in Google Podcasts (link: http://bit.ly/2Rc2kVa)
- Listen in Spotify (Link: http://spoti.fi/2mCUGnC)
Connect with the Guest:
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
Alan B. Hart is the creator and host of “Marketing Today with Alan Hart,” a weekly podcast where he interviews leading global marketing professionals and business leaders. Alan advises leading executives and marketing teams on brand, customer experience, innovation, and growth opportunities. He has consulted with Fortune 100 companies, but he is an entrepreneur at his core, having founded or served as an executive for nine companies.