With a background in journalism and a career in communications, Stephanie McCarty may not be the typical CMO, but that is exactly what makes her perfect for the job. She is leading a marketing revolution in homebuilding by reimagining the marketplace and digital shopping experience at Taylor Morrison.
In this episode, Stephanie and I discuss how to get your entire organization rowing in the same direction by understanding that culture building is the groundwork for success and why having a consistent, compelling message is essential no matter who you are talking to.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The importance of pushing for innovations in established industries
- Benefits of building the brand reputation from the inside out rather than trying to shape external opinions
- Why CMOs need to focus on the employee experience as well as the customer experience
- [02:00] How experiencing loss at an early age motivates Stephanie today
- [05:20] The nontraditional path that led Stephanie to the CMO role
- [16:00] The rapid pace of change in the marketing industry
- [17:50] Who is Taylor Morrison?
- [19:30] What marketing and communications look like at Taylor Morrison
- [25:30] How to stay close to the customer journey
- [28:00] Collecting and using data to understand how customers think
- [33:00] Advice for CMO’s thinking on the employee experience
- [35:20] What is TMLiving?
- [38:50] Defining moments in Stephanie’s life
- [41:00] The power of “radical candor”
- [42:50] Advice for her younger self
- [43:20] Focusing on customer effort
- [44:00] Brands that have nailed the customer experience
- [45:45] The opportunity associated with rapid change
- Stephanie McCarty
- Taylor Morrison
- Recent Growth of Taylor Morrison
- Chairman and CEO of Taylor Morrison, Sheryl Palmer
- Brands mentioned: Peloton, Southwest, Starbucks, Dutch Bros, Athletic Greens
Follow the podcast:
- Listen in iTunes (Link: http://apple.co/2dbdAhV)
- Listen in Google Podcasts (Link: http://bit.ly/2Rc2kVa)
- Listen in Spotify (Link: http://spoti.fi/2mCUGnC)
Connect with the Guest:
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
- Twitter: Alan B Hart - http://twitter.com/abhart
- LinkedIn: Alan B Hart - https://www.linkedin.com/in/alanhart
- Twitter: Marketing Today - http://twitter.com/themktgtoday
- Facebook: Marketing Today - https://www.facebook.com/themktgtoday/
- LinkedIn: Marketing Today - https://www.linkedin.com/company/marketing-today-with-alan-hart/
Alan B. Hart is the creator and host of “Marketing Today with Alan Hart,” a weekly podcast where he interviews leading global marketing professionals and business leaders. Alan advises leading executives and marketing teams on brand, customer experience, innovation, and growth opportunities. He has consulted with Fortune 100 companies, but he is an entrepreneur at his core, having founded or served as an executive for nine companies.