While Christian doesn’t consider himself a marketer, he and I discuss design, user experience, and how marketing is tied closely to his role. Throughout the rest of our conversation, we also touch on how the scale of technology is outpacing human cognition, why that matters, and what making a good product is all about.
According to Christian, a “better product is marketable, valuable, and usable.” Since technology is evolving rapidly, companies must be intentional about sticking to the fundamental design principles—designing around human behavior. What can marketers learn from design and vice versa? Listen to the full conversation to find out.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How technology scale is outpacing human cognition
- Why a better product is marketable, valuable, and usable
- The push for community in product spaces
- [01:24] Why Christian doesn’t see himself as a marketer
- [02:15] Why he started with design
- [06:20] Technology scale outpaces human cognition
- [11:47] Who is Innovatemap? How did it begin?
- [15:10] What makes a good product?
- [18:36] How the Better Product podcast was born
- [22:22] The push for community
- [26:32] An experience that defines Christian makes him who he is today
- [28:22] Christian’s advice for his younger self
- [30:02] What marketers should be learning more about
- [33:58] The brands and organizations Christian follows
- [36:35] The biggest threat and opportunity marketers face
- Christian Beck
- Mike Reynolds
- Share Your Genius
- Better Product Community
- Better Product Podcasts
- Martin Siegel (Indiana University)
- Design with Ethics
- Blockchain (Wikipedia)
Subscribe to the podcast:
- Listen in iTunes (link: http://apple.co/2dbdAhV)
- Listen in Google Podcasts (link: http://bit.ly/2Rc2kVa)
- Listen in Spotify (link: http://spoti.fi/2mCUGnC)
Connect with the Guest:
- Christian LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christianmbeck/
- Christian Twitter: https://twitter.com/cmbeck
- Innovatemap Twitter: https://twitter.com/innovatemap/
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
Alan B. Hart is the creator and host of “Marketing Today with Alan Hart,” a weekly podcast where he interviews leading global marketing professionals and business leaders. Alan advises leading executives and marketing teams on opportunities around brand, customer experience, innovation, and growth. He has consulted with Fortune 100 companies, but he is an entrepreneur at his core, having founded or served as an executive for nine startups.