Today we talk about the Super Bowl commercial that launched earlier this year and how that came about, the relationship with Jason Momoa and the company’s partnership with the NFL. We also discuss other sports sponsorships and the impact Quicken Loans is having on Detroit.
Hurbis begins by telling us what excites him about Detroit and updating us on Quicken Loan’s success as America’s largest lender. He provides a behind-the-scenes look into the process of creating an ad for the Super Bowl and building a relationship with Jason Momoa, who had never before taken on a paid endorsement.
Hurbis showcases his team’s ambition when discussing their approach to partnerships. He says, “We have a history of doing things that have never been done before.” They have also used these sponsorships to improve their community. Hurbis explains, “We want to be able to do good by the community but also shine a spotlight on our city.” Then we hear Hurbis’s take on running a large in-house agency. This conversation gives us a look into a brand with ambitious campaigns and a commitment to their local community.
Highlights from this week’s “Marketing Today”:
- Casey describes what excites him and the company about Detroit. (01:58)
- Casey tells us how business is doing. (03:56)
- A behind-the-scenes look at his highly-rated Super Bowl commercial. (06:22)
- How Casey thinks about sponsorships and their potential. (14:00)
- The partnerships Casey has been most excited about with other sponsors. (17:39)
- Quicken Loans has one of the largest in-house agencies in the world and they are growing. (22:05)
- Casey’s advice to other CMOs considering an in-house model. (26:34)
- The advice Casey would give to his younger self. (30:56)
- The most impactful purchase he has made in the last 6-12 months of $100 or less. (33:52)
- Casey’s take on the top opportunities or threats facing marketers today. (35:42)
- Casey Hurbis pervious episode #98
- Jason Momoa Rocket Mortgage by Quicken Loans Super Bowl spot
- Behind the scenes on the creation of the ad
- Jason Momoa
- Lisa Bonet
- USA Today Admeter on Super Bowl ads
- Super Bowl teaser and Squares Sweepstakes
- Rocket Mortgage Super Bowl Squares
- Mystery Winner of $500,000 in Steeleville, IL
- Rocket Mortgage Classic – PGA Tour
- 100 Thieves – eSports Team
- Rocket Mortgage ventures into eSports
- Forbes 30 under 30 with Rocket Mortgage
- Nerf Guns
Connect with the Guest:
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
Alan B. Hart is the creator and host of “Marketing Today with Alan Hart,” a weekly podcast where he interviews leading global marketing professionals and business leaders. Alan advises leading executives and marketing teams on opportunities around brand, customer experience, innovation and growth. He has consulted with Fortune 100 companies, but he is an entrepreneur at his core, having founded or served as an executive for nine startups.